Cyber security. A topic that scares and bores people in equal measure.
Not something to be avoided though as we are all likely to be victims of cyber crime than any other. Literally half of all crime in the UK is cyber crime. It’s enough to make you want to switch off your computer and put it in a box, right?
There are steps we can all take to minimise our chances of being a victim of cyber crime though. And we’re always on hand to chat to our clients and audit their cyber security.
How Can I Protect My Business From Cyber Crime?
Yep, something we’ve mentioned before. And yet still we meet people all the time who say “oh I just use the same one for everything.” We recently saw this video which made us cringe; we bet we could get people to tell us their passwords this easily too! It might be a few years old, but still totally relevant.
So, a few quick password tips:
- Don’t use something predictable (you know, like your pet’s name or your birthday)
- Use a password manager
- Use two factor authentication on websites that give you the option
- Use encryption on laptops and desktops
- Use passwords, PINs and fingerprint recognition where available on mobile devices
- Change manufacturers default passwords before using any device
Malware is malicious software (yep, viruses and the like) but there are some easy steps you can take to protect yourself.
- Install antivirus software on all laptops and desktops
- Resist the urge to jailbreak your mobile devices – only install approved software
- Always apply the latest software and firmware updates
- Use your firewall
- Consider restricting access to removable media (such as USB sticks); encourage staff to use cloud storage instead
Our monthly packages, starting at £12, are an easy way to protect yourself here. We can remotely monitor for malware, provide you with antivirus software, patch software and deal with other updates. We’ll spot a problem before you do and, in most cases, fix it too.
We can also offer Mobile Device Management to keep on top of mobile devices that staff take off site. It has some great features, including being able to restrict devices to business use only, or only allow the devices to install the apps that you want on them.
Back It Up!
Regular back ups of your important data are an absolute must and something every business needs to take the time to do. At least then, if your cyber security is compromised, it’ll reduce the likelihood of business grinding to a halt. We can help with that too!
- Decide what needs to be backed up
- Make backing up your data a regular part of your everyday business
- Consider backing up to the cloud
- Make sure that wherever you back up to is not permanently connected to where the originals are stored.
Phishing is probably the kind of cyber crime most people think of. We’ve got another post coming up this month about this and related attacks.
Want To Know More?
If you fancy reading up on more cyber security stuff there are a few websites you can check out.
MausTech are here to help too! Get in touch with us if you need to talk about your business’s cyber security.